2015 Candidate Questions
Fall 2015Quality Bainbridge Candidate Questions
1) What are your top five priorities that you would work to have the city accomplish during your term in office? For each identified priority that requires the expenditure of money, please state how you would fund it.
2) How would you improve the functioning of our city government?
3) Which of the core services that the city currently provides should be continued, improved, expanded or eliminated?
4) Islanders have identified water quality as a top community priority and yet a recent city study shows our streams are significantly polluted. What ideas do you have for improving the health of island waters?
5) How do you think growth (economic and population) on the island can best be managed?
6) Do you feel that cellular internet coverage is a problem for the city government to address? If yes, what would you do to forward that goal?
7) There are emerging efforts on the island to create a local public utility to purchase the assets of Puget Sound Energy and provide the power locally. What are your views on this effort?
8) Kitsap PUD is soliciting indications of interest in expanding broadband access to neighborhoods on the island. What should be the role of the city in assisting with this expansion?
School Board Questions
1) What is the proper role of the School Board in relation to the teaching staff and the school administrators? How much managerial authority should the school board exercise in connection with the day-to-day operations of the schools?
2) What criteria should be used in deciding what new programs should be added or making other curriculum changes? What, if any, curriculum changes should the School Board review?
3) How can the School Board assist teachers to be successful?
4) Do you approve of judging and rewarding teachers based on their students’ performance on core curriculum tests? Do you support the current high school graduation testing system? If not, what changes would you recommend?
5) What are the biggest operational challenges facing the School District in the coming years? What should the School Board do in the next four years to respond to budgetary challenges? Do you approve seeking more voter-approved operations and technology levies?
6) Do you believe that the School District should seek voter approval of additional bonds to make capital repairs and improvements? If so, what capital projects do you feel are most critical?
Parks and Recreation Board Questions
1) What interests inspired you to run for a position as a commissioner of the Parks and Recreation Board?
2) Describe your relevant previous experiences that prepare you for the board role?
3) What skills, training. resources, and expertise will you bring to the Board?
4) What are the most important challenges/projects facing the Park and Recreation District in the next few years?